Lethal Injection Information Center and data privacy
Lethal Injection Information Center is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. This privacy statement applies in relation to Lethal Injection Information Center (hereinafter referred to as ‘Lethal Injection Information Center’ or ‘our initiative’). Lethal Injection Information Center is an initiative of Reprieve (collectively referred to in this statement as ‘us’, ‘we’, and ‘our’), a company limited by guarantee incorporated in England and Wales with company number 05777831 and a registered charity (charity number 1114900). Reprieve’s registered office address is 10 Queen Street Place, London, EC4R 1BE. Lethal Injection Information Center’s website is hosted within Reprieve’s main website. This privacy statement sets out the basis on which Lethal Injection Information Center and Reprieve will process any personal information that we may collect about you as a visitor to Lethal Injection Information Center’s website.
The information that we collect about you
We may collect and process the following information about you:
- Information that you give us: This is information about you that you give to us by filling in forms on Lethal Injection Information Center’s website (or other forms that Lethal Injection Information Center asks you to complete) or corresponding with us by telephone, post, email or otherwise. It may include, for example, your name, address, email address and telephone number; your date of birth, gender; information about your relationship with Lethal Injection Information Center (including feedback you have provided to Lethal Injection Information Center); information about your relationship with Reprieve; and information about your professional role, background and interests.
- Information that Lethal Injection Information Center’s website and Reprieve’s other systems collect about you:
- If you visit Lethal Injection Information Center’s website it will automatically connect some information about you and your visit, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your device to the Internet and some other information such as your browser type and version and the pages on our site that you visit. Our website may also download “cookies” to your device – this is described in our separate cookie statement. Because Lethal Injection Information Center’s website is hosted within Reprieve’s main website this information will be held by Reprieve.
- If you exchange emails, telephone conversations or other electronic communications with Reprieve employees and other staff members responsible for administering the Lethal Injection Information Center website, Reprieve’s information technology systems will record details of those conversations, sometimes including their content.
- Reprieve’ premises, which are the physical location where the Lethal Injection Information Center initiative is run from, have closed circuit TV systems which may record you if you visit the premises, for security and safety purposes.
- Other information: We may also collect some information from other sources. For example:
- If we have a business relationship with the organisation that you represent, your colleagues or other contacts may give us information about you such as your contact details or details of your role in the relationship.
- We sometimes collect information from third party data providers or publicly available sources for anti-money-laundering, background checking and similar purposes, and to protect our initiative and comply with any legal and regulatory obligations.
The uses that we make of your information
We may use your information for the following purposes:
- to operate, manage, develop and promote our initiative, including managing and administering support actions;
- to operate, administer and improve our initiative’s website and other aspects of the way in which we conduct our initiative;
- to protect our initiative or Reprieve from fraud, money-laundering, breach of confidence, theft of proprietary materials and other financial or business crimes;
- to comply with our legal and regulatory obligations and bring and defend legal claims;
- if you have given your consent, to provide you (by electronic means only) with information about Lethal Injection Information Center’s news, activities, and campaigns;
- if you have given your consent, to allow selected third parties, including Reprieve, to contact you about their services or issues which may be of interest to you;
- to analyse and better understand the composition and interests of supporters of our initiative and of Reprieve.
We may from time to time review information about you held in our systems – including the contents of and other information related to your email and other communications with us – for compliance and business-protection purposes as described above. This may include reviews for the purposes of disclosure of information relevant to litigation and/or reviews of records relevant to internal or external regulatory or criminal investigations. To the extent permitted by applicable law these reviews will be conducted in a reasonable and proportionate way and approved at an appropriate level of Reprieve’s management. They may ultimately involve disclosure of your information to governmental agencies and litigation counterparties as described below. Your emails and other communications may also occasionally be accessed by persons other than the member of staff with whom they are exchanged for ordinary management purposes (for example, where necessary when a staff member is out of the office, is no longer involved in the Lethal Injection Information Center initiative, or has left Reprieve).
We will only process your personal information as necessary so that we can pursue the purposes described above, and then only where we have concluded that our processing does not prejudice you or your privacy in a way that would override our legitimate interest in pursuing those purposes. In exceptional circumstances we may also be required by law to disclose or otherwise process your personal information. We will tell you, when we ask you to provide information about yourself, if provision of the requested information is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation or, on the other hand, if it is purely voluntary and there will be no implications if you decline to provide the information. Otherwise you should assume that we need the information for our organisation or compliance purposes (as described above). If you are uncertain as to Lethal Injection Information Center’s need for information that we request from you, please contact the Lethal Injection Information Center representative asking for the information, or Contact us (see below), with your query.
If we are using your sensitive personal data (including personal data relating to your racial or ethnic origin, political, religious and philosophical beliefs, trade union membership, sexual orientation or health, we will only do so with your explicit consent or, if otherwise, only to the extent permitted by applicable law.
Disclosure and international transfer of your information
We may disclose personal information about you, where reasonably necessary for the various purposes set out above:
- to the other members of the Reprieve group;
- to your colleagues within the organisation that you represent;
- to Reprieve, and to service providers who host Reprieve’s and Lethal Injection Information Center’s website or other information technology systems or otherwise hold or process your information on our behalf, under strict conditions of confidentiality and security;
- to a person who takes over Reprieve or our initiative, and Reprieve’s assets, or relevant parts of them; or
- in exceptional circumstances:
- to competent regulatory, prosecuting and other governmental agencies, or litigation counterparties, in any country or territory; or
- where we are required by law to disclose.
These disclosures may involve transferring your personal information overseas. If you are dealing with us within the European Economic Area (or the UK, after it has left the European Economic Area), you should be aware that this may include transfers to countries outside the European Economic Area / UK, which do not have similarly strict data privacy laws. In those cases, where we transfer personal data to other members of the Reprieve group or our service providers, we will ensure that our arrangements with them are governed by data transfer agreements, designed to ensure that your personal information is protected, on terms approved for this purpose by the European Commission. Please Contact us (see below) if you would like to know whether any such agreements are in place or, if so, to see a copy.
Retention and deletion of your information
We will delete the information that we hold about you when we no longer need it. For specific information about our record retention policies, please Contact us (see below).
You may have a right of access to the personal information that we hold about you, and to some related information, under data protection law. You can also require any inaccurate personal information to be corrected or deleted. You can object to our use of your personal information for direct marketing purposes at any time and you may have the right to object to our processing of some or all of your personal information (and require them to be deleted) in some other circumstances.
If you wish to exercise any of these rights, please Contact us as set out below. You can also lodge a complaint about our processing of your personal information with the Information Commissioners Office.
We welcome questions, comments and requests regarding this privacy statement and our processing of personal information. Please send them to or call 0207 553 8140.
Changes to this policy
Any changes we make to this privacy statement in the future will be posted to Lethal Injection Information Center’s website (at http://lethalinjectioninfo.org) and also available if you Contact us. Please check back frequently to see any changes.
Last updated: 8 February 2018